Sorbitol is a laxative found in fruits. Since it has a sweet taste, sorbitol is used in sweetening cough syrups and some sugarless candies. Sorbitol is also used with activated charcoal in some oral overdoses or poison ingestions.

Sorbitol is freely soluble in water (up to 83%), soluble in methanol, isopropanol, butanol, cyclohexanol, phenol, acetone, acetic acid, dimethylformamide, pyridine, acetamide solution. It is practically insoluble in most other organic solvents. It is quite soluble in hot alcohol, sparingly soluble in cold alcohol.


You should take special care in taking sorbitol if you have any of the following conditions:


No significant interactions are known.

Side effects and overdose

Abdominal cramping and diarrhoea are the most common effects from overdose of sorbitol. The purgative effects usually appear after ingestion of 50g or more of sorbitol in most adults.

Other side effects related with very large doses of sorbitol might include:

The LD50 for sorbitol for oral administration in rats is 15,900mg/kg (15.9g). No data regarding humans is available.

Related information: Sorbitol Toxicology